
Dear Sarah,
The date of your five month birthday has both happy and ominous associations. We celebrated your grandmother's (and namesake's) birthday, but also commemorated the tenth anniversary of the September 11th terrorist attacks. As I watched the ceremonies on television, I was continually drawn to the children of the victims, whose fathers or mothers do not get to see them grow and change. I cannot thank God enough for the opportunity to be your mother and to be a part in shaping and observing your life. Parenthood is an awesome responsibility and gift.
Your primary preoccupation as a five month old is not the current state of the world, but instead a subject a little closer to home: your toes. You cannot get enough of your feet. You wave them through the air so other can admire their shape, fold them together like you are in prayer, stroke and caress the toes, taste them for flavor, and then slam them onto the floor in sumo-wrestler fashion. The sumo motif continues as you travel up your body with giant rolls of fat decorating your legs and a large, white diaper. But the chubby legs are attached to very narrow little feet. Every time I look at them I am reminded of the description of Aunt Pittypat in Gone with the Wind and cannot wait to hear your feet going pitty pat around our house one day! Well, I can wait. The benefit of being the second child is that we are in no hurry to rush through your milestones!
Another body part obsession may have a genetic component: noses. You are a nose biter. Not only do you love to touch and grab noses, but you seek to insert a nose into your mouth at every opportunity. Mommy, Daddy, Max, Mimi, Sophie the giraffe, the sunshine face toy, stuffed animals, the trunk of the pink elephant blanket - all have fallen victim to your voracious appetite for noses. As Max says, "I think she's hungry for a nose today!" The elephant blanket may become the prized lovey because the trunk is so enticing! It is the same brand and type as Max's pelt blanket, so it makes sense that you would develop an affinity for it. Maybe it could be your elephant hide instead of your tiger pelt?

Music, singing, and whistling always make you giggle, and naturally you love to read. Everything goes into your mouth at this stage and you are drooling approximately a gallon of liquid per day. You have proven that you can roll and sit unassisted (for a few seconds), but seem to have little desire to do either - you'd rather be held. We have come to believe that your trademark 45 minute naps are merely a ruse to have Daddy hold you for the rest of your snooze. I will not complain too much because you continue to sleep well at night and the short naps are often due to the constant interruptions we inflict upon your schedule.
My favorite part of each day is watching you and Max together. You constantly reach for him and try to hold his hand (or his ear, hair, eyeball....you aren't picky). Sarah, you put up with his silly antics and his attempts to "entertain" you with a smile. When he looks at you and says so earnestly, "I'll protect you, Bay-bay", I can hardly catch my breath. I truly hope that you and your brother will be close friends and confidants one day. For now, I will settle for hoping that he does not put his thumb into your mouth.

Thank you for all the happiness and light you bring to us and to the world, baby girl!

Love, Mommy
1 comment:
What a lovely girl. That first pic is priceless.
Post a Comment