Monday, October 24, 2011

Coming Home

Before there was this Furman girl.....


There were these Furman girls!

(Beckers, me Reid, Julie, Brandi and Megan)


This year's Homecoming also marked our 10 year reunion.

10 years ago....

I was living in Chapel Hill with my childhood friend Kelly and getting my Masters degree.

Jason had also moved to NC despite the fact that we had only been dating for a few months.

I had already decided to marry Jason...whether he realized it or not.

I was not a wife, a mother or a therapist yet.

My Furman friends were scattered across the country.

September 11th had just occurred and changed everyone's view of the world.

Our first Homecoming back at Furman truly felt like coming home.


10 years later...

My college roommates are still my best friends. And even though Sally and Laura didn't come for the festivities, we still manage to see each other regularly.

Sorority girls still hug every time they meet even if it is only an hour later.

Seeing people with their college sweetheart(now spouse) or their same group of friends from college made me deliriously happy. As Rebecca said, "I"m glad we are still walking into places together."

Going out at 10:00 pm can only be accomplished if the kids have somewhere else to sleep.

Rebecca and I are interchangeable to some people. "You know that guy that one or both of you was in love with."

I got a little shock every time someone referred to me as "Vonda".

Rehashing the previous night over breakfast with your best friend is still the best part of a social occasion.

Taking pictures is impossible when trying to juggle children and visiting with old friends!

Going back to Furman still feels like coming home.

Naturally my dream is for Max or Sarah (or both) to attend Furman, although I recognize this will be unlikely given its close proximity to home. Furman is so special to me because it gave me many of the things I value most: my education (I put that first so my parents would feel good about their investment), my best friends, my husband, and therefore, my family. I only hope that Max's and Sarah's college experience will be just as wonderful!




It's great to be a Furman Paladin!

No comments: