Sunday, March 22, 2009

Shalom

Max partied like a Jew at ShalomFest '09! The annual festival promotes understanding and relationships between Greenville's Jewish community and other faiths. What better way to introduce Max to the Jewish religion? He loaded up on goodies including Hanukah cookie cutters and a dreidel, and even had his name written in Hebrew! Unfortunately, he was a little young to stay for the "Jesus was a Jew" lecture, but greatly enjoyed the music and dancing.


No doubt Max will be spiritually confused with a Catholic-Baptist background and a mother who is obsessed with Jewish history, but I hope he will internalize the lessons of ShalomFest and strive in his own way for peace between all religions. Although one must wonder: is it wrong to take your child to church and temple in the same day? 

Shalom and Peace be with you.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Ah, Marie. We were cut from the same cloth, you and I.

Rebecca said...

I had a brief moment this morning when I thought I might make a Passover meal. Then I saw what was involved and thought maybe not. Probably something that requires more than 3 days thought if one is not actually Jewish and used to doing it. Planning on a Carrotcake cheesecake with marizpan carrots and perhaps cute cupcakes with peeps on top for Easter.