Sunday, March 28, 2010

Big Willie Style

In college, my roommates and I were "creative" to say the least. During sophomore year a rivalry developed in our suite between Will Smith and Johnny Rivers. Sally and I chose the theme of Big Willie Style for winter term. Our answering machine message changed weekly to reflect various Will Smith masterpieces and we had a large sign above our mirror proclaiming our loyalty. In the end, it was determined that Will Smith kicks Johnny Rivers' butt.

When Max and I go to the library, we utilize the Grab-and-Go method with books. Often I don't examine the books we have checked out until we arrive home (this is how we ended up with the sing-along potty book). Much to my delight, one of our selections last time was "Just the Two of Us", a picture book of the Will Smith song!

Most of the lyrics create a sweet portrait of the bond between a father and son, although there are a few stanzas that we skip over due to language. As amusing as it is to read the lyrics like a story, Max adores the chorus and wants us to sing it and get our groove on. Here is an excerpt from our latest performance:



Next up: Getting Jiggy Wit It.

And, by the way, Auntie Beckers and Auntie Lala - Big Willie still kicks tail.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

OK - They put questionable language in a children's book??!! I think that definitely takes Big Willie down a notch. Johnny Rivers will be avenged...after all he is "man who leads a life of danger!"

Meredith said...

I love that song!

But I agree that questionable language in a children's book makes me sad. Big Willie is one of my faves and he should know better. Maybe his mom needs to give him a spanking. :)