Friday, October 11, 2013

2 1/2 Years


Dear Sarah,

Having a two year old in our house means laughing every day - sometimes at your antics and sometimes in exasperation! Overall, I love this age. You are able to verbally communicate very well and I believe that has resulted in less tantrums, although you are quick to let us know your opinion! Getting dressed is the only time when you put up a fight; you would be content to stay in your pajamas reading books and doing puzzles all day. The Llama, Llama and Franklin series are current favorites. Not to be outdone by big brother, you "read" the books aloud and have memorized some really long stories! 


Your imitation skills know no limits. My little parrot repeats every word out of Max's mouth and most of his actions. It can be handy when I'm unsure whether Max did something wrong because I can wait a few moments and witness the repeat performance. The most hilarious version is when Max tells you, "Shhh!" and you turn to Mommy and Daddy, put your finger over your mouth, and say, "Shhh! Be quiet!" Max's new school schedule has been hard for you to adjust to. You are sleeping later in the morning and sometimes do not awake before he leaves. The disappointment is visible on your face when you ask, "Where's my Max? Is he downstairs?" And even though I have to wake you from your nap in order to pick him up from school some days, you never complain because you are so eager to see him!


Sarah, you refer to the stuffed animals as "My People" or "My Friends" and they are the players in elaborate dramas that you create. I hear you chattering to them, telling them where to sit and what to do, asking and answering questions for long periods of time. Despite ending every sentence with "ok?" it is clear who is in charge of these interactions. Mommy is not included in the fun. "Go over there, ok? Go back in your room, ok? Often the performance pieces are musicals and the dialogue is sung. "I'm putting you here, putting you here, I'm putting you here where you will be safe, ok?"


This big girl has a sweet tooth like her Mama! 
"Let's make pinkalicious cupcakes!" 
"I need just a few cookies. Just a few. Peaaase?"
"We need to buy yogurt raisins at the store. I need to tell my Daddy to get yogurt raisins at the store. We get more yogurt raisins?"



Sarah, you are more precious every day. I love that you adore trucks and construction as well as baby dolls and art projects. I love that your stuffed animals have to be arranged exactly the right way in bed and be completely covered by your blanket or it has be redone. I love that you poke your thumb in your mouth as soon as Blankie is within sight and rub the satin edge between your fingers. I love listening to you sing and your squinty smile when you laugh with delight. I love you, sweet girl.




Love, Mommy

No comments: