Monday, October 13, 2008

"Outstanding" Furman Homecoming


Homecoming is always one of the highlights of Fall, but it was even more special this year because Jason was chosen as the recipient of the Outstanding Young Alumni Award. Since Furman has created many outstanding alumni, it was a big honor that was well deserved. And naturally went straight to his head. Henceforth, Jason will be referred to as the "Award Winner".

The award was presented at the Alumni Breakfast, a brutally early event that punishes those alumni foolish enough to participate in the revelry on the mall the night before. Needless to say, we have never made it to the breakfast until now. Max (clad in his Class of 2030 ensemble) accompanied us, and I was a wee bit concerned about his ability to handle sitting at a table in the front of a room with several hundred people during what is usually his nap time. However, he was content to watch and destroy his pop-up book until his Daddy got up to speak. Then he stood on my lap, waving his arms at the Award Winner to show his pride!


Many, many wonderful statements were made to describe my husband, the Award Winner, and they were all true. I'm glad that others realize what a remarkable person he is. Just remember Furman, I found him first! By the time he finished his acceptance speech, we watched the picture dvd of Furman sights and people, and sang Brown Eyes, I was wiping away tears.

After the breakfast, it was on to the parade! I use the term "parade" loosely because there were approximately six cars and fifteen spectators, counting myself, Rebecca, and Stephanie. Noting our large sign, the driver of the car asked, "Is that your wife?" I know it is confusing because Beckers and I do look like two hot college coeds trying to get the big stud's attention.


The Award Winner did not allow the low turnout to dampen his spirits as he grinned cheerfully from the convertible. He did have to be instructed by one vocal bystander to "Wave!" (Sidenote: The Award Winner must have had too many pastries for breakfast because he managed to crack the back of the car....oops.)


Later, The Award Winner made an appearance at the tailgate prior to the game. Tailgating has certainly changed this year with the addition of Max, as well as the children of our friends. We could have formed our own Junior Paladin Club!


Max enjoyed clapping for the football team again and appears to be showing signs of being a natural cheerleader. He kept everyone around us entertained with his giggles and smiles! He was too sleepy to make it through the game, so I took him home while the Award Winner joined the Other Award Winners in the President's Box. The team must have sensed the presence of so much greatness and were able to pull out a win to complete the weekend!



We are very, very proud of our Award Winning Daddy!

2 comments:

Meredith said...

I've been waiting for this! :) Congrats again, Jason.
Love the wardrobe change, Max! Is that reversible?

Marie said...

Thanks! Nope, he had two different Furman outfits...one with long pants and one with short...it's so hard to predict the weather! Actually, he thinks he is a celebrity and needs several outfit changes each day :)