Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow

Separation anxiety has blossomed over the past few weeks, and I now have a twenty pound growth permanently attached to my leg. From the front it probably appears as though I have developed a strange limp, until I turn slightly sideways, and surprise! There's a baby being dragged along! Daily activities are a bit more complicated with a squirmy shadow trailing behind and underfoot. Although I adore watching Max race across the floor, beaming with happiness, to crawl into my lap, it is hard to convince him to allow me to leave the room. And that is necessary. Even mommies have to use the bathroom.

The past two times at ITP, I've seen that adorable face pucker up as I headed for the door and watched him swiftly drop down to his knees to follow me. His sweet teachers snatch him up, comfort him, and hand him his tiger pelt, but the wails follow me down the hallway. Is there any sound that makes you feel more horrible? How could I ever have (secretly) imagined that I would enjoy being the favorite parent and having Max constantly want to be only with me? Of course, it is all a ploy. Two minutes after I'm gone, he is fine and has moved on to something else. Out of sight, out of mind.

Is it possible to feel badly when he does want you to stay AND badly when he doesn't care that you are gone? Oh, irony...you are a bitter pill.

No comments: