
Today was one of the most gorgeous days of spring: bright sunshine, warm temperatures, and everything blooming in pastels and lush green. A perfect day to spend at the lake or the beach or the mountains. Or to be inside painting the classrooms of a non-profit agency.
Our church sponsored a volunteer workday blitz to assist in meeting the needs of our local community. One thing I admire about many churches is their commitment to helping others and trying to improve lives. One thing I admire about OUR church is that we do that in our backyards. I can recall one summer during college when a friend from Birmingham informed me that she was coming to Greenville for a mission trip with her church. The same summer I had another friend from Greenville who took a mission trip to Birmingham. Ironic? I do not doubt the sincerity or desire of either group, but so often there is plenty to do in our community before we travel elsewhere.
Jason and I are both deeply involved with the non profit world here and are constantly harassing our friends to give money, volunteer, or be aware of the problems the plague our city. Thus, we are joyful to watch our huge church group take on all types of projects for non-profits, lower income neighborhoods, the elderly, churches....whatever needs to be done! After dangling from a ladder all day painting, I am tired, but satisfied. A great feeling.
And as a sidenote: My agency recently used Project Host to cater one of our events and the food was fabulous! Project Host is the local soup kitchen, but they also have a culinary school to prepare unemployed people for jobs in the food service industry. A great meal and a great cause! Eating to support charity is my favorite form of volunteering.
2 comments:
First of all, the culinary school thing is way cool. I am definitely intrigued to see if one of our soup kitchens has a similar program.
And secondly, I love the title of that ministry - Operation Inasmuch!
You're so darn good. I love that about you. That, and how you clean when you are stressed. :)
Post a Comment