Thursday, August 6, 2009

Love at the Library

Some days I think my heart is so full of love for Max that it cannot hold any more. Then a moment comes along that makes me pause and squeeze in a little more happiness.

Almost every Thursday this summer, Max and I have made our weekly pilgrimage to the library. Today as we were walking inside, Max reached up to clutch my finger in one chubby hand and a book in the other. I melted. How sweet to share such a special, yet everyday, activity with my son - just like my own happy childhood memories of trips to the library with my mother.


I have been extremely impressed with the range of activities at our local library. We sing and dance at the Musical Jamboree, play with blocks and toys in the PALS room, do puzzles and games, and of course, pick out books! Last week, Max chose to check out "Does A Lion Brush His Teeth?" and wanted to read it (and brush his teeth) multiple times a day. My mom used to lament that I would force her to read my library books so many times that I had them memorized before we returned them.




I understand that with the ever growing supply of media in today's world that Max's perception of the library will differ greatly from mine. But I hope he will always have a special place in his heart for this special place dedicated to books and learning!

1 comment:

Cara said...

I, too, love the library! Please tell Max that he is making English teachers everywhere giddy to know that there are kiddos that still enjoy reading and picking out library books. I still remember the day I got my first library card- what a magical day!