Last week, I took Max to meet with the pediatric surgeon. He felt that surgery was necessary due to the location and duration of the swelling of the lymph nodes. The ultrasound showed an enlarged node in Max's stomach also. The positive news is that the previous tests have been able to rule out many potential causes. The bad news is that they will be doing the biopsy in order to test for lymphoma. The doctors believe it is the only major cause they have been unable to dismiss yet. The risk is low, but still very concerning since they have no other explanation. Prior to our appointment, I was most worried about the possibility of surgery and anesthesia. This information certainly gave me more to think about.
I was scared. It did not help that Jason was out of town on a business trip. Fortunately, my mother was able to go to the appointment and offer reassurance and support. Hearing your child could have lymphoma is terrifying. Playing in the back of my mind were the memories of my best friend in high school who had a lump which was malignant. And being with my college friend William when he found a lump on his neck that was cancer. After radiation treatment, Becky made a complete recovery. William did not and he passed away a few years later. I know it happens - even to young, healthy, wonderful people.
After time to digest the news, I am feeling much more positive. The procedure is straightforward and Max should not feel any pain. We are very hopeful that the biopsy is merely a precaution. This is due in large part to the overwhelming support and prayers of our friends and family. I am confident that God has His hand upon Max and that He will give us the strength to handle whatever comes. The biopsy is scheduled for Thursday and we will not have the results until the following week. Please say a little prayer for Max. Thank you.
9 comments:
I will be praying for all of you!
You are in my prayers. God is holding your hand through this, you are not alone.
Jackie Moore (Meredith's mom)
My heart and prayers go out to you both - having a child with an illness/surgery is the hardest thing...just know that there are much love, faith, and positive thoughts coming to Max...
Rita Impellizzeri
(Amy's Mom)
Marie, we have you guys in our prayers! Thanks for sharing.
Praying for good health for little Max.
Thank you to everyone! It is wonderful to feel so supported and encouraged. We appreciate all of you!
You all will be in my prayers!
Bless your heart! Keep thinking positive thoughts. I have learned that as hard as it is not to, the alternative is not very helpful. Send you all our love and prayers. Be strong Max!
We'll offer prayers for Max and you, too, Marie.
Peace,
Ginny & Cory
Post a Comment