Tuesday, March 15, 2011

D-Week

It has finally arrived...the much anticipated and feared 35 weeks deadline. I went into labor unexpectedly with Max at 35 weeks. Ever since we discovered I was pregnant again, I have felt that this point was more of a target than my actual due date. Some of the doctors have told me that I am at no greater risk for having another preemie because my water broke and they do not know why that happened (really? isn't that why you go to medical school?). Other doctors have suggested that 35 weeks might have been all my body could handle and so I am at greater risk to go early again. That really cleared up our confusion.

Logically I know that we can handle it if Sarah appears on the scene early. We are obviously more prepared that it could be a possibility this time and we have the support and resources to respond to the situation. In retrospect, Max's time in the NICU was a blessing in many ways. It gave us the opportunity to adjust to his arrival and he came home already on a schedule. I'm guessing it is a little harder when you have to do that part yourself! But, emotionally, I also keep reliving the experience: the uncertainty about his health, the sadness of not being able to hold him for several days, and the gut wrenching pain of walking out of the hospital without him. That is the part that I do not care to repeat.

But the week has arrived. Are we ready? Nope. Many items still clutter my to-do list and even knowing this was my self-imposed deadline has done little to spur me to complete it. Not to mention that the idea of 2 children is still a little scary. So hold off just a few more weeks, little Sarah Cat, and then we will make all new memories together!

No comments: