Scorecard:
Good Guys - 3
Bad Guys - 0
The past week has brought a wave of convictions of sexual offenders of which I am proud to have been a part. Justice was found for five children as three perpetrators in separate cases were sentenced to 15 years, 45 years, and life + 30 years respectively. During maternity leave I was called to testify in a pretrial motion for one of the cases. I spoke on behalf of a six year old client as to whether she should be forced to give testimony while looking at the person who abused her. Our legal system requires children to testify in general sessions court, no matter their age, in order to use the forensic interview at the trial. Although laws exist to allow children to testify outside the presence of the defendant, South Carolina has not had much success in utilizing them. Our victory in the motion hearing ensured that this victim would not have to see her offender and helped to establish case law, which should bolster the solicitors' confidence in pursuing this avenue more often. Obtaining these convictions was a true multi-disciplinary effort, involving law enforcement, forensic interviewers, medical staff, therapists, solicitors, and some very brave children.
I have learned that kids do not view justice in the same manner as adults. We, as grownups, want to see the perpetrators locked away and punished for their crimes. Kids just want to be safe. The victory for them lies not in the amount of jail time, but in the knowledge that they told their stories, they were heard, and they were believed. And that is an incredible achievement. I am so very, very proud of these five children and the countless others who have the courage to speak up.
Max at the Run 2 Overcome
Honoring Survivors of Sexual Assault and Child Abuse
and benefiting the Julie Valentine Center


1 comment:
Thank you for advocating for these precious children.
Post a Comment