Thursday, November 17, 2011

Final Four


Dear Max,

Four is finally here! We have talked so much about being four during the past few months that I think I forgot you weren't officially there yet! You have been super excited about your birthday and we made a paper chain to count down the days. We have used your birthday to encourage you to be more independent. "When you turn four......you will need to dress yourself, brush your teeth, give up sucking your thumb, and so forth. I'm surprised you weren't worried we would make you move out and get a job!


The past few months have shown a noticeable increase in your maturity. You seem to think about the world and your place in it in a different manner. There are times full of silliness, but also times when you are heartbreakingly earnest and serious. Some of your comments are very insightful and I treasure our conversations about God, friends, and your thoughts on life.


Some almost-four-year-old wisdom:

Some day will I be a grown up? Then I can drive through red lights. (I don't know who does that, but it is NOT his parents)

Now I am going to sing a wonderful song that you will all enjoy.

If Jesus has a birthday at Christmas, when is God's birthday?

Can I stay with you and Daddy forever? Do I have to get married? Can I marry Kyle?

Art and pretend play are your favorite pastimes. "I'm just pretending...." is a constant refrain. I am very thankful that you use your imagination to create elaborate activities, plots, and characters instead of being dependent on ideas from tv. Of course, you need the correct ensemble to properly act out your ideas. Recently, you have really started to enjoy coloring, cutting, gluing, and painting, and will now spend extended periods of time making creations from your giant jug of art supplies.



Max, you are an adventurer. You seek out new challenges and want to try anything that bigger kids are doing! I wouldn't say you are fearless because you seem blessed with common sense and a healthy dose of caution. But I find myself saying, "That's not safe!" fairly often. I am trying to bite my tongue and let you discover for yourself, but that is so hard for a mother to do!


Four years sounds so very old. We are incredibly thankful to have the gift of raising you. And even though each new stage brings excitement, I get a little sentimental thinking of my sweet baby boy growing up. Thank your for being a wonderful son and brother. We love you dearly and we are so proud of the person you are - the irrepressible Max!


Love, Mommy and Daddy

No comments: