About one month into nursing Sarah, Jason suggested we might not make it an entire year. Nursing was not a problem. Pumping was not a problem. Nursing AND pumping eight times per day while trying to manage a curious and slightly jealous preschooler: somewhat of a problem. Sarah was an easy nurser though, and once I stored a bountiful supply of frozen milk for my return to work (and so I could occasionally leave the house), we settled into a great routine.
Breast feeding is a huge commitment, but I feel very fortunate to have been able to nurse both my babies for over a year. Although there was a day when I was reading about the extraordinary benefits of breast-feeding: less ear infections, lower chance of developing asthma, etc. and I looked at one baby, who had a double ear infection, and my other child, who has asthma "episodes", and wondered, "Did my kids miss this memo?"
I will never regret giving up a little sleep or turning down dinner invitations so I could stay home and share the special connection of feeding my babies. Plus, I do so enjoy proving Jason wrong.
Goodbye, late night snuggles. Goodbye, private time with my baby before breakfast. Goodbye, sweet sigh of contentment and drunken baby milk haze.
Hello, wine. Hello, two cups of coffee. Hello, ice cream in my freezer. Welcome back.

No comments:
Post a Comment