Hello, Chicago! Jason and I got to spend a few days in Chicago while he attended a work conference. Two partners and their wives also attended, so we both had friends to play with! Ironically, we were at the Drake, which is the same hotel we have stayed in on previous visits.
Since we did a lot of the touristy activities the last time we were in Chicago - the boat tour, John Hancock building, Lincoln Park, the Field Museum - this time we were able to concentrate on the truly important things......eating our way through the city. I have linked the restaurants in case anyone wants to follow the Jason Richards culinary tour.
After arriving late the first night, shortly following Hurricane Ike, we headed to Rosebud, a classic Chicago steakhouse that was also conveniently right next to our hotel. The following day, our ultimate Chicago tour guide Chris (a friend from college) challenged us to try "encased meats" at Hot Doug's. These are no ordinary hot dogs. They are lamb, steak, sausage, shrimp, and chicken in an assortment of combinations and flavors. Check out a sample of the specials here.
That evening, we gorged on an eight course meal with matched wines at Spiaggia, one of the top rated restaurants in the city. Working at a non-profit, I am used to the bare minimum as per diem for training. I think it is $32 dollars per day when out of state. I must confess that I vastly enjoyed the difference in quality of food that a for-profit company can provide! It was phenomenal. We had a ladies lunch the next day at the Grand Lux Cafe, a cute spot with yummy drinks and beignets that was the perfect place after shopping on Michigan Avenue. Our final dinner was at Hot Chocolate. As the name suggests, it is mainly known for it's delectable deserts. The sous chef is from South Carolina and specifically asked to meet us, although we still aren't sure exactly how he knew we were from there....do you think the accents gave us away? We had a light dinner to save room for several sweet treats. My favorite kind of meal!
At the last minute, the other ladies and I decided to try to get tickets for Oprah. It was surprisingly easy. The concierge called and placed our names on the standby list the afternoon prior to taping. By that evening, we knew we had tickets! We didn't even have to wait in line. The seating is not pre-assigned and apparently one of the tricks for getting a good seat is to wear bright colors. It worked for us and we were seated in the first few rows to the side of Oprah. I was briefly visible over her shoulder during part of the broadcast! The show was on "Why Husbands Cheat". We were relieved that we weren't surprise guests who got on the show in order to find out their husbands were cheating....I guess that is more Jerry Springer's style than Oprah.
But the best part was seeing how the show operated. Oprah does not wear her fancy shoes from the dressing room to the stage. Instead she sits and has someone put them on her feet....how do you get that job? I also loved when the teleprompter read "Pull up your shirt" and Oprah told her guest that she had to rearrange because her breasts were hanging out. It was a lot of fun, but we were hoping for a gift besides the book about Why Men Cheat. That is one book I have no desire to read!
I took surprsingly few pictures on the trip. I'm out of the habit of snapping when Max isn't around looking cute. My only picture of my sweet hubby .....
I can't wait to go again next year and enjoy more of this wonderful place!
1 comment:
I stayed at the Drake this summer and where I didn't have Jason to show me around, Abe Froman, sausage king of Chicago took me to Hot Diggity Dogs which is Hue Hefner's favorite hot dog. I really need to get Meredith to that town. Glad you guys had fun and look forward to seeing you on O.
Post a Comment