Thursday, December 23, 2010

Preparation


Dear Baby Girl,

Being pregnant with you during Advent has been a beautiful gift. The speaker in our Advent study actually compared the period to pregnancy - full of hope, anticipation, and preparation. Naturally that sentiment spoke volumes to me! I find it hard to describe in words the closeness I feel to God when you move or kick inside me or the deeper understanding I have gained regarding the anticipation another mother felt before the birth of her son, our Savior.

In preparation of your arrival, we have been trying to explain the changes to your brother. He felt you kick for the first time and glowed with happiness. He insists that he is thrilled to share his books, blankets, and toys with you, and even offered Pelt! We told him that was not necessary. We have discussed what babies can do and how many things he can teach you. Max asks 938 times per day, "What's the baby doing in there?" He has even bought you a special gift. Max had been eyeing a Lightning McQueen sippy cup at Publix on the baby aisle and told your Daddy every week for months that he wanted to get that for you. He and Daddy finally bought it before Christmas and put it in a special place until you are ready for it.


Mommy has also been getting ready and I have a confession to make. A few years ago I purchased a needlepoint stocking for Max that featured a little boy hugging a striped cat. It was not from a store or a chain, so I was amazed when a short time later I came across a similar stocking with a small boy and girl looking out a window together. Even though we did not have a daughter yet, I purchased the other stocking because I was unsure if I would be able to find it again in the future. This is definitely not something I would usually do. When we got the stockings out this year, I showed the other one to Max and explained that it would be his sister's stocking. He wanted to hang it along with the others in his "family". (Of course, he also wanted a stocking for Pelt since Frank and Bean have one).


Little girl, we are very excited about the other upcoming preparations - readying your nursery, buying clothes and supplies, finding a bigger car (!), and dusting off all the baby gear! Most importantly, we are eagerly anticipating knowing you as a person and celebrating our beautiful gift from God.

Much love,
Mommy

2 comments:

Ashlee said...

Sweet, sweet! and you look great!

Meredith said...

Well, did you want to make me cry this morning, because you succeeded!