It was around Valentine's Day when I began to notice a trend in pictures from my friends - lots of little girls dolled up in fancy dresses and bows with corsages and bouquets of flowers, all ready for dances with their Daddies. I was inspired (read: jealous) and began to research local dances for MOTHERS and SONS.
Except there aren't any.
After much discussion about the unfairness of the situation and whining about the lack of opportunities for the poor male gender, we Mommies took control and decided to create our own dance!
Plan it and they will come.
Totally crushing on my date for the big dance!
The Poinsett Club, aka Discotheque
One unexpected benefit of planning the dance was the friendship I developed with the mother of one of Max's friends. Melanie and I already enjoyed chatting during play dates and practices, but we discovered many other similarities in our love for a theme and detailed approach to planning. We quickly learned that everyone LOVED the idea of the dance and offering suggestions, but people were a little more scarce when actual work was involved. But that was okay because neither of us likes to relinquish control! And it meant we got to pick the theme...
I mean, a friend who can physically create just about any idea I suggest (such as buckets like these!) is clearly my party planning soulmate!
Each table had a keepsake card for the son and mother to fill out together.
And of course lots and lots of bow ties!
Max was much more interested in the desserts than in dinner!
Hula hoops to get the boys warmed up and moving
Crafts for those feeling a little shy or taking a break from the dancing
Macaroni necklaces
and a personalized frame for Mom!
Love these sweet friends!
Photo Booth fun!
He finally consented to taking one with Mommy!
But a dance is for DANCING!
Let's boogie!
My date was a bit of a party-pooper at times. Next year, we will not plan it on a Friday night when he is already exhausted from school and sports practice. I did manage to coax a few dances out of him!
The DJs were from Boosterthon, a fundraiser used at different schools. The kids were thrilled to recognize them, and they were wonderful at engaging the boys!
Slammin' Andy
One of the best parts about creating our own dance was that it was a diverse group - different schools, different churches, different sets of friends. There were definitely a few sleepless nights of worrying about numbers after I had written checks to the vendors, but apparently all Mommies (like me) wait until the last minute to buy tickets. We actually had to turn people away after our deadline because we were worried about it being too big! Judging by the big smiles and the level of exhaustion after the dance, we can definitely say it was a rousing success!
My sweet bow tie boy!


































No comments:
Post a Comment