I have been very fortunate to find a job that I not only enjoy, but that also offers me the opportunity to do something I strongly believe is important and necessary. Working with victims of child abuse is challenging, but inspiring. Last week, our agency sponsored an event called "Walk in My Shoes" to promote awareness of sexual violence and its victims.... women, children, and men. Although most people roll their eyes at yet another "walk", it is certainly an issue that needs more public attention and discussion.
To the amazement of most people, I can usually separate myself from my job and keep from "taking it home with me". Lately, I have been having more difficulty doing that. Perhaps it is because I'm a mother now and can really picture how it would feel for it to be my baby. On Tuesday nights I lead a group for children who have been sexually abused. I have an incredible group of kids at the moment. However, more so than my groups in the past, these kids are really struggling. And not to be dramatic, but the issues are ones of life and death. These children and their problems have been weighing heavily on my heart after the group and on the days when I'm not at work. So my point in writing this is to ask for your prayers and positive thoughts for them. I know you don't know them individually, but I think they could truly benefit from some extra intervention. Although the stories of their abuse are horrifying enough, I find that the fallout from the abuse is usually more traumatic and devastating to the child. Please pray for them and for me to find the best way to help them and show them that they are not alone and are worthy of love. Thank you.
2 comments:
I said a long prayer for you and for them this morning. I'm continually thankful that the Lord calls people like you to take care of these darlings.
Thank you very much, Mere! And thanks also to the many others who have told me that they have also been praying. I know it will make a difference, to me and the kids!
Post a Comment