Today I learned that my mascara is not waterproof.
Today I learned that I need Max more than he needs me.
Today I learned that letting go is the hardest lesson every parent learns.
Today, Max started the Infant Toddler Program (ITP) at our church. He will attend 2 mornings a week for a few hours. Does this sound awful and cruel? Absolutely not, but I have struggled with our decision to enroll him in any type of program at his age. As you know, we are blessed to have a wonderful Grammy nearby, who not only agreed to keep Max while I work, but truly relishes the opportunity and claims it is a privilege. Due to this, we do not need child care for Max. Additionally, one of his mornings at ITP will be on a day I'm off from work. Hence the feelings of guilt..do you think guilt is a hormone that is released in childbirth?
The bright spot is that it is an excellent program. I know lots of mothers call their child's day care "school", even though it is obviously not "school" yet. But considering everything we did to get ready for Max to start, I cannot imagine doing more when he leaves for college. First there was the home visit by his teachers so they could see Max in his natural habitat (and meet the kitties). This is when we were assigned our "homework". I had to create a notebook for Max that the teachers will write in daily, and that Jason and I will contribute stories to as well. The first assignment was to design the cover and a page on the origins of Max's name. We also had to create a montage about our family to be posted in the classroom. Then I had to collect pictures of Max's house, nursery, extended family, pets, backyard, etc to be placed in a photo album for him to look at in the classroom. And a CD of his favorite lullabies. Shew. Of course, being an overachiever, I spent hours making his things creative and special. Next, was the first parent meeting and then a drop in the following day when we took Max to see the classroom for the first time. All this before he even officially started.
Max is in the "Duck" room. Can you imagine anything more appropriate? The room is amazing. The teachers are so creative and it is a wonderland for crawling and walking babies. It is covered in pictures, including photos of the kids' houses and families. They hung them low on the wall so the babies can crawl to them and "visit". There was too much for Max to explore. He loved it and I think it will benefit him to have time with other children. At the very least, he will learn how to defend himself properly!
I stayed for the first hour (as did several of the other Mommies) before I was able to walk out of the room. I feel like this is the beginning. From here on, it is just a series of goodbyes as I learn to let Max be independent. I guess Mommies still have to go to "school" to learn these things too.
No comments:
Post a Comment