Sunday, August 17, 2008

Lookin' Fine at Number Nine


Dear Max,

Nine months old and you are a man in motion!  You are definitely NOT content to sit and be a bystander any longer. You want to be part of the action! Everything is fascinating and you swivel your had back and forth trying to catch it all (in fact, that move is very similar to how your Daddy used to walk around Furman, nodding from side to side as he greeted everyone). Putting toys in and out of a box (and in and out and in and out), crumpling magazine pages, playing with water bottles, scooting like a bunny, crawling, and pulling up on everything in sight are only a small sampling of your daily activities.  And you are all boy. The first thing you do with a toy is turn it over to look at where the batteries go or how it works. Josh and Darin have generously shared their big boy trucks with you and naturally you are enthralled by the wheels. Where you get this mechanical interest is unknown to me! 


I am truly amazed by how many skills you are capable of learning at the same time. One moment, you are crawling and pulling up in the den, then you're sitting in your crib after a nap, you grab your spoon and try to feed yourself at lunch, and in the afternoon you are trying to talk! It has been this amazing jumble of development in a short period of time.


Max, the past month has been so full of changes that some days I wonder where my little baby went. Especially over the past week when you decided you didn't want to sleep. Waking up early, taking puny naps, and sitting back up when I laid you down...over and over....what happened to my boy who loves to sleep? I have my fingers crossed that we are quickly moving out of that stage as I write this.  You've always loved to be naked, but you were also helpful and would obligingly raise your legs when I changed your diaper. Now, it is like wrestling an alligator to get diapers and clothes on you. I've had to become Houdini just to get you dressed! 


I am very thankful that you still like to cuddle, even if it is a bit less than before. When you are sleepy, you love to burrow your face into the crook of my neck, cover your eyes with your hand, and pull your legs up against my chest. Pure sweetness. But it is Daddy that makes you light up when he walks in the room. It is as though you cannot contain your happiness and you squeal and throw your arms in the air as soon as you see him. You definitely know how to make us smile!

We love you, little one. Don't grow too fast.

Love, Mommy

1 comment:

The Dales said...

Babies grow up way too quickly for me! He is so sweet and so so cute! He looks mischievous like my little Perrin. Ha! Isn't it funny how they love their mommy's but adore their daddy's...I think Perrin would absolutely do anything for Jonathan to stay at home with him and me work.