Sunday, November 16, 2008

On the Night You Were Born...

Dear Max,

On the day I went into labor, you gave me no clues or indications that you were ready to make an appearance. Your due date was five weeks away. It was a Friday and I had gone to work, as usual. Our office closed early on Fridays, so I decided to go to the mall to get some Christmas shopping done since I knew you would be born near the holiday. We were leaving on the following Wednesday to go to Louisville for Thanksgiving and a couples baby shower, where we expected to receive the crucial gift of your car seat. That night, Daddy and I went to dinner to celebrate good news about his bonus at work. I declined the champagne, always thinking of your well-being :) I enjoyed a huge and delicious dinner and was snug in bed by 10:00. 

Around 11:00, I woke up to use the bathroom. No surprise. I had to go often during the night. Except, I kept having to go back to the bathroom. After several flushes, Daddy came upstairs to investigate. I explained the problem and told him adamantly that it was NOT my water breaking because we still had five weeks and I was NOT ready yet. But you had other plans. The doctor on call laughed and told me to go to the hospital because I was probably in labor. I called Grammy and Grandpa scared and worried that you were coming too soon. I was also peeved at you because I had not packed a bag for the hospital yet and had no clean clothes. Laundry day was scheduled for Saturday. As Daddy and I drove to the hospital, we joked about how this would be our "trial run" since we were both still convinced that I wasn't in labor. Obviously, we were wrong. 

You arrived the following afternoon after a fairly easy labor. We got one quick snuggle before you were whisked off to the newborn nursery for them to monitor your lungs and breathing. A few hours later, you were moved to the NICU for what we thought would be a short stint. As frightening as it was at the time, your vacation in the NICU gave us a little bit of time to get used to the idea that you were indeed here! And to get a carseat, so that we could take you home from the hospital. It wouldn't be the last time you surprised us! 

And that is the story of the night you were born....

Love, Mommy

No comments: