Tuesday, September 1, 2009

School Daze


After the long hot summer, I always relish the first time I walk out the door and feel the cool crispness of Fall. It not only feels different, it also smells different - like football and raking leaves and new notebooks and pencils. So it was appropriate that Max's first day back at "school" coincided with our first day of lower temperatures that indicate Fall is fast approaching. I don't know who was more excited for his program to start this year - Max or Mommy!


The home visit from his teachers and visit to the classroom had certainly put Max in the mood for school. He was ready and bouncing to leave much earlier than necessary and marched into the classroom without hesitation. A few smiles later and he had the teacher at his beck and call. His first stop was at the craft table to experiment with scissors and stickers. He paused long enough to give me a hug goodbye, but was enthralled by his new room and activities. Unlike last year, none of the parents stayed for long after dropping the kids off. They are all "big" kids now and much more self sufficient. I, too, left my big boy behind without tears this year, but with a little tug in my heart that time is passing so quickly and kindergarten is just the corner.


1 comment:

Ginny said...

Kindergarten is more than just around the corner, right?!?!? Max is so cute!