Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Birthday Eve

Dear Sarah,

One year ago today...

I couldn't sleep. My belly had swollen bigger and bigger to house a baby whose face I had never seen, whose hands I had never held, whose laugh I had never heard. My thoughts raced with anticipation, anxiety, and excitement. My dreams were disjointed with contractions and my prayers filled with supplications for a healthy child that I could hold as much I wanted. Please God, just let me be able to hold her!  Even though you were not here yet, you were mine.

Tonight...

I couldn't sleep. My arms are full of the warm softness of your body, swelling against the snaps of the sleeper you have almost outgrown. Your face smiles up at me and you let out a giggle as I squeeze you closer. One chubby thumb fills your mouth while the other hand strokes the satin band of the fuzzy pink blanket your Mimi chose before your birth. My dreams have become a reality, and now I dream of your future: the friends who will nurture you, a spouse who will treasure you, and the God who has known you all along. "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you." (Jeremiah 1:5). My prayers are of thanksgiving for the amazing gift of you and for being chosen as your mother. Thank you God for letting me hold her!



What God Hath Done is Rightly Done.

Love, Mommy

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Doggone it, I said I wasn't gonna cry...

Marie said...

Me, too :)