Sunday, May 6, 2012

Bible Stories


Just call him the Preacher Man. 

For a while, Max has been questioning and commenting about spirituality:
"When we all die and go to heaven, we'll still be a family." 
"When I was scared during the storm last night, I asked God to stop the thunder and the lightning, Mommy. I didn't ask him to stop the rain because I know the flowers need it. But I asked Him to stop and it did! I thought about Jesus in the boat and how he wasn't scared and I tried not be scared, too."
During Grandparents Day at Max's school, the preschool children sang songs and the elementary students performed the story of Moses. It was an amazing production. The younger children did not remain in the chapel for the entire service, but Max watched the DVD repeatedly like it was a Disney movie. He would cackle with laughter and tell us over and over, "You never know about Pharaoh, do ya? You never know what he's gonna do!" Then he would yell at the tv, "Let them go, Moses! I mean, let my people go!"

I always knew he was a little Jewish at heart.

But it is his obsession with the Bible that astonishes us. He reads his preschool Bible (which is admittedly a basic selection) straight through and then immediately insists on beginning again. We eventually had to limit the number of Bible stories each night. Then he decided to move on to the copy of my childhood Bible. It is for school age children and really too advanced, but that has not deterred our religious scholar. He reads the big red Bible at night and the preschool Bible at nap time. We have observed him sitting in his room for the entire hour of quiet time paging through the Bible, as well as perusing it when he wakes up in the morning. He is completely and totally in love with these incredible stories of heroes, saints, sinners, love, and forgiveness. He tries to apply the lessons in his daily life. And has managed to teach his parents quite a bit in the process. 

This is a long (but heartwarming) clip of Max "reading" his preschool Bible, Even if you don't watch the entire length, it is worth glancing at to see the delight Max has discovered in God's Word.


I've already informed him that Furman will be excellent preparation for seminary.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Trying not to be scared because Jesus wasn't scared - a lifelong process of sanctification and trying to be more like Jesus begins. I think it goes without saying that I cried over this post. Oh and speaking of Pharoah - does he know that song to the tune of Louie Louie "Pharoah, Pharoah, oh baby let my people go, yeah!" If not I'll teach him when I come, along with Father Abraham, which every little zealot ought to know.

Meredith said...

This is fantastic, Marie. Do you have The Jesus Storybook Bible? It is simply wonderful.

Marie said...

Max will love it, Auntie Beckers! Meredith, I will definitely check that one out. We recently got a book of devotionals to add to the mix, but I have not found a good in-between Bible for him. Thanks!