Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day


Since becoming a mother, my Mother's Day holidays have rarely been of the Hallmark variety. Something inevitably goes wrong - my child doesn't nap and is cranky, the sauce for dinner burns in the pan or our brunch order is so delayed it has to be packaged up to take home. This year continued the trend. I woke up to wet weather and two children and one husband who refused to cooperate with my (valid) attempt at a picture. Jason and I were assigned the nursery at church for the third year, which is guaranteed to be extra crowded with an extra long sermon. Sarah refused to nap in the nursery, fell while walking and hit her head on the heel of my shoe, causing a minor bruise and a big cry. Then my husband had the nerve to ask me if I kicked our child. Whose day is this again?


All that to say, it was a perfect Mother's Day for us. It was perfect because my family does not do perfection - too much pressure! Motherhood is about the bruises, the spills, the burns, as well as the smiles, the giggles, and cuddles. Max bounded in to wake me with a huge smile and his present encased in a Minnie Mouse bag. He proudly presented me with a dinosaur puzzle he had chosen himself. Jason reported that when Max saw the puzzle he exclaimed, "Oh, Mommy will love this! We better get it now because it's the last one."  You never know when there might be a run on dinosaur puzzles. Max told me he chose it because "we like to do puzzles together and you are so much better at them than Daddy." Hallmark doesn't make a card with a sentiment more perfect.


After an afternoon family dinner, which ensured that neither child had a nap, we proceeded to take both kids to Publix. I never thought spending a holiday at the grocery store could make me so happy, just like I never imagined all the ways these two could make me feel so delighted, so fortunate, and so content. I don't need a holiday to remind me how lucky I am.

Holding hands in the car cart

Thanks for a wonderful, non-perfect holiday and for making me a Mommy!


No comments: