Monday, June 30, 2008

Beach Blanket Bingo

Jason is always giving me lip about my "visions" of how things should be. So knowing this, you can imagine the "visions" I had when I learned that my college roomie Sally and I would both have little boys in the same year. I could just imagine the boys growing up together, wearing matching outfits, being pushed in their strollers, sharing toys, playing on the beach, and of course, being roommates at Furman one day. However, my visions don't often work out exactly as planned :) In fact, Max and William have not had the opportunity to meet until now due to a combination of cold weather, fear of germs, and scheduling problems. Yet, last week we fulfilled several parts of my vision when Max and I were invited to join Sally and William at their beach house for a few days of fun in the sun! 

I anxiously introduced Max and William, expecting them to instantly love one another. Well, ok, not exactly. William is almost 14 months old and (like every one year old) he learns about objects by touching them. He definitely liked to reach out and touch Max, mostly by whacking him on the head. Max has only briefly been around other babies and he (like every 7 month old) would respond with a wail. Even if not the picture of immediate harmony, we figured they would get used to one another and we were right. William very kindly shared all his beach house toys with Max, who loved the chance to try out some big boy items. William is a huge ham and is constantly grinning and entertaining everyone. He is always on the go, exploring every nook and cranny. It made me really excited about the future for Max, but also extremely grateful that I am not chasing after TWO little ones right now!


We took the boys to the beach early one morning to beat the heat. William is a true beach bum and had a blast digging in the sand and playing in the surf. Max was a little unsure about the whole beach experience. He didn't care for the water and waves, but fully embraced relaxing on the beach and would have gladly have taken his nap on the towel if we had let him. 



Thus, to summarize the progress of my vision: they did share toys, they did get pushed in their strollers together, and they did go to the beach together. They also did have matching outfits. But this isn't quite how I imagined the picture looking..... 

...and that was the best of many attempts!!

In between chasing the boys, Sally and I were able to sit around and gab just like usual. And thanks to Grammy coming along as a babysitter, we were even able to go out for dinner and enjoy some adult time. It was so much fun to relax and play with William and to be with crazy Sally. Although it felt odd to be at the beach without the other roomies to help me make fun of her. It just made me even more excited for our upcoming reunion with the full crew! Lucky for them, Sally and I have gotten all the "mommy" talk out of the way and can completely focus on being with them!  

Many, many thanks to Sally for being ever hospitable! I can't wait for the boys to be together again when they are both a little older....and more willing to follow my vision!

No comments: