Max is a little guy. He was born and a little guy and it looks like he will remain one for the foreseeable future. When we took him to the doctor about the scratch on his eye, it had been six weeks since his last well check. They weighed him and told us he had only gained six ounces. One ounce per week. I was astounded and very concerned. Over the next week, I bugged every medical professional I know, asking if he was healthy, asking if my milk supply was adequate, asking if we needed to supplement with formula, and on and on and on. Everyone assured me that since he was meeting all his developmental milestones (and early too!) and sleeping well, that this child was not starving. But no one could answer why he isn't gaining more weight!
Well, apparently the biggest problem is that the scale was off or the nurse made a mistake. When we took him for his six month check, we discovered that he was 14 pounds, 2 ounces. I know, still tiny, but a huge difference from the number before. The doctor continues to tell us not to worry about his weight. He says that Max is "proportional", a word that I'm rapidly growing tired of hearing. Logically, I know that Max probably doesn't have the genes to be a big child or, conversely, that many small babies become large adults. So why does this bug me so much?
Anytime someone asks how old Max is, I feel like I have to explain why he is small. People expect fat babies. People love fat babies. Advertisers sell tons of items with chubby little babies grinning off the packaging. Inevitably, people ask two questions about babies...how much does he weigh and how is he sleeping? The reaction to a small kid is that look at Mom that says, "I'm going to have to call DSS because you are obviously neglecting to feed your child". And maybe parents of large babies get the same look as strangers wonder why they are OVER feeding their child. Maybe it is because he is a boy that I have this expectation that he should be bigger. Girls can be petite, but boys are supposed to be big, strapping guys like their Daddies....well, maybe not like Jason, but you get the idea.
Regardless, I've had to examine my own irrational expectations and to stop worrying about it. I think Max is the most perfect, beautiful little boy God ever made. And I would gladly post pictures of his tiny, round naked rump, but Jason is afraid I'll get arrested for child porn and lose my job (you know, the one at the Child Abuse Center). Anyway, babies are what they are...big or little. I love every single ounce of Max and even if that is a few less ounces than other babies his age, it is certainly no less love.
1 comment:
Clearly you need to spend time with people who don't know so much about babies. Like Auntie Lala, who just thinks he looks like a baby. A cute one.
Post a Comment