Monday, February 25, 2013

Ready, Set, Read!

Max. Can. Read.

Max has been successfully reading his short homework books (of mostly sight words) throughout 4K. He has conquered the BOB books with their simple sentences and repetitive vowels sounds. He has mastered a few Learn to Read books that used various combinations of the same three sentences to make a story (He had to read it instead of memorizing because the word order changes slightly each time!) But it wasn't until a recent trip to the library that I began to classify him as a READER. 

At the library Max chose a selection of easy reader books, sat down, opened the book Tired Trucks, and read the book. A book he had never seen. A book with plenty of pages, details, and a plot. A book full of words he did not know yet and had to sound out. He read a book. 

I come from a family of teachers. I read to my children constantly. I know learning to read is not magic, but it felt like magic as we sat squished into a library chair and I listened to him read to me.

Magic.

And he marked the occasion by receiving his own library card to check out his own books!


(Haven't the designs become much cooler?)

Max's enthusiasm for reading was ignited. He read his books to anyone who would listen, and after he ran out of audience members at home he took the books to school and read them to his class! Our daily reading routine has been extended to include time for Max to read to us, as well as for his new fascination with lengthy chapter books. Stuart Little and Trumpet of the Swan were hits and now Henry and Ribsy is on deck. So many wonderful books waiting to be shared!

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Reading is an amazing accomplishment! We are so proud of Max!